Support from other organisations

This information is not to be construed as legal advice. Please do not rely on the information provided as an alternative option to seeking professional legal advice from your appointed solicitor, lawyer or legal defence team. Inside Justice recommends that any specific questions about your ongoing legal matter should be raised via a consultation with, or the appointment of, a professional criminal defence provider. Inside Justice is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.

Complaints primarily about your sentence

We do not help with sentencing issues or legal questions about the charge. If you want help in this regard you could consider writing separately to the prisoners’ newspaper Inside Time.

Inside Time, Botley Mills, Botley, Southampton SO30 2GB

Complaints primarily about the service you received from your legal team

These should be addressed to:

The Solicitors’ Regulation Authority, The Cube, 199 Wharfside Street, Birmingham B1 1RN
Visit website


The Legal Ombudsman, Edward House, King Edward's Square, Birmingham B1 2RA
Visit website

Complaints regarding prison issues and/or probation

The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman can be contacted at:

Prisons and Probation Ombudsman, Third Floor, 10 South Colonnade, London E14 4PU
Visit website

Other miscarriage of justice organisations working in this field

The Criminal Cases Review Commission

There is no time limit on applications to the CCRC and it does not cost anything to apply. You do not need to be legally represented.

The Criminal Cases Review Commission, 23 Stephenson Street, Birmingham B2 4BH
You can get a CCRC application form from their website or by telephoning 0121 233 1473.


The Centre for Criminal Appeals.

Room 29, 2-10 Princeton Street, London WC1R 4BH
Visit website


A charity that finds free legal assistance from volunteer barristers for eligible applicants.

Advocate DX, 50-52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL
Visit website

Innocence Projects

Many universities have Innocence Projects. You may want to consider contacting the university nearest to the location of the offence you have been convicted of or the university nearest to your current prison to ask if they run an Innocence Project (also known as Justice Projects). You will be able to find University addresses in the prison library or education departments. They usually operate out of the law department.



Campaigns on behalf of everyone affected by the Indeterminate Sentence for Public Protection (IPP) in England and Wales. They can only be contacted via their website:

Support for Families that have a relative in prison

Prison Chat UK

Prison Chat UK is an online community giving support to those who have a loved one inside the British prison system.
Visit website

Prison Advice and Care Trust

PACT is a pioneering national charity that supports prisoners, people with convictions, and their children and families. They provide caring and life changing services at every stage of the criminal justice process: in court, in prison, on release, and in the community.
Visit website

AFFECT (Action For Families Enduring Criminal Trauma)

AFFECT are a group of people who currently have, or have had, a family member in prison. Founded in 2001 they aim to help others by offering confidential and non-judgemental support, regardless of length of sentence or type of offence.
Visit website

POPS – Partners of Prisoners

POPS, established by offenders’ families for offenders’ families. Identifying needs and finding the solutions.
Visit website

Prisoners and Families Helpline

T: 0808 808 2003
Mon – Fri: 9am – 8pm
Sat & Sun: 10am – 3pm

Visit website